I qualified in medicine having studied at Oxford University and Guy's Hospital, London. Initially, I trained as a surgeon, gaining experience in accident and emergency medicine, orthopaedic, thoracic, general and ENT surgery, and became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (otolaryngology) and Edinburgh (general surgery). I then became a GP and Member of the Royal College of General Practitioners having had experience in paediatrics, neonatology, and obstetrics and gynaecology.
Since 2003, I have completed an MBA at Warwick University Business School while working as a Primary Care Trust project manager. I then spent five years as Director of Medical Communications in a UK Medical Communications Agency, becoming a freelance consultant in 2013. As director of Libra Scientific Communications Ltd., I now provide training in scientific writing and presenting, and medical writing services.
- MBA Master of Business Administration (Distinction), University of Warwick Business School
- MRCGP Member of the Royal College of General Practitioners, London
- DRCOG Diploma of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, London
- FRCS Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (Otolaryngology)
- FRCS Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (General Surgery)
- MB BS Medicine and Surgery, Guy’s Hospital, University of London
- BA Physiological Sciences, Pembroke College, University of Oxford
- 5 years’ experience as Director of Medical Communications at a UK medical communications agency – with a remit as a medical writer and healthcare communications consultant
- 3 years’ experience in NHS Primary Care Trust management – as a project manager and commissioning manager
- 19 years’ experience as a medical practitioner in the NHS – including 9 years as a general practitioner, and as a hospital practitioner in ENT surgery with a specialist interest in nasal allergy
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, England
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- Member of the Royal College of General Practitioners, England
- Member of the European Medical Writers Association (EMWA)
Publications and presentations
- Dixon, J. (2018) Readability of biomedical research articles: Where are we now, and how can we move on? Medical Writing, 27(1), 73–75. March 2018.
- Dixon, J. (2017) Advisory boards: a medical writer's perspective. Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnvMqTzYfzo NetworkPharma.tv.
- Dixon, J. (2017) Readability tools: are they useful for medical writers? Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZyhmhQZFmI NetworkPharma.tv.
- Dixon, J., Alder, L. and Fraser, J. (2016) How to Publish in Biomedicine. 500 Tips for Success. 3rd Ed. CRC Press.
- Dixon, J. A. (1989) Spontaneous external carotid artery occlusion. J Laryngol Otol, 103, 710-2.
- Bleach, N. R., Keen, C. E. & Dixon, J. A. (1989) Superficial malignant schwannoma on the face: a case for early radical surgery. J Laryngol Otol, 103, 316-8.